Friday 10 February 2012

Book from a Printer Tray



As these fabulous printer trays come in layers they are ideal for making a book, especially the ones that have covers!  Here I have only made one page inside but as the spine is wide enough you could use all 3 trays to make 3 pages.  I have chosen to use a romantic theme (though the colours aren't too romantic haha)

You will need....

~Mini Printer Tray with Cover~ I used the ~152x152cm with cover~
~large Swirly Snowflake~
12x12 paper, patterned or plain for backing the trays (I used plain)
Spray inks, old book pages & stamps etc (if using plain paper)
Gold marker pen
Patterned paper for the cover
Gilding flakes, ribbons, beads

To make your backgrounds take your 12x12 paper/card and get inky!  I used spray paint then added some torn up pages of an old book.  Spray again.  Dry.  Dig out your romantic word stamps & stamp randomly, the same with a large swirl, till you are happy with the look.


Colour your printer tray layers with spray ink and leave to dry then go round the edges with your gold pen.  Carefully glue the trays onto your background paper and cut out.


Cover the cover (hahaha) with the patterned paper, making sure that you cover the scored spine in the inside.  You don't have to be too neat with this section as most of it will be covered up!


Cut 2 pieces of spare cover paper about 5x5cm and attach them to the back of one of the printer trays to make tabs as in the pic below.  Then over that, cover the back with some of your backing paper.


Attach to the back cover making sure that you do not glue over the spine.


Now you can attach the other 2 trays to the inside covers (I turned mine round to add interest). I only made 1 page but you could make all 3 trays into pages using this method & then just cover your inside back & front with paper.  For the cover I used the large snowflake, which I think could be an all year ornament.  I have stuck gilding flakes on and then used glossy accents.  A ribbon & a few beads round the spine together with some stick on metal corners finishes my book off.  I am still adding the insides using lots of photo's & memorablia of my hubby & myself.


Thank you for reading through and I hope that you have a go, do let us know if you do.  HUGS, Karen x

10 comments:

  1. what a great idea...will definately be having a go at this xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one brilliant tutorial Hun,hugs Cherylxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW !!! Fabulous idea Karen,going to try & do it
    Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this project Karen can you tell me where it's possible to buy the printer tray? I looked on your site but I am not trade:(
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me again! Just saw the list of stockists and I'm not even blonde just a little senile:)
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!!! Are the sprays inks or actual paints? - coz I hae to have them LOL.
    Thanks for sharing xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't believe i've missed this-it's beautiful karen.......love your pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was inspired by your printer tray tutorial Karen and made a special card/book for my sister's birthday and thought you might like tosee it;
    http://canonburycreations.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/ups-and-downs-of-bank-holiday.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. How come I missed this gorgeous book. It is fabulous Karen. :)

    ReplyDelete